Sunday, February 11, 2024

Autoarchaeology, or, retrointrospection

 Since I've been blogging again, I took some time to read back through my previous posts. I started this darn thing nearly 20 years ago, somehow... Anyway, I rediscovered a bit of my own past, namely the fact that my Flickr antiquity project actually predates my being on Flickr (I can't tell or remember if it predates Flickr itself, but it could).

It started with a website on  FreeWebTown.com, which no longer exists, neither the host nor my site, though it stuck around long enough to get scooped up by the Wayback Machine here. I called it "Emporical Images of the Ancient World," and it's really the same idea in nuce as my Flickr account, just that my interests have become slightly less parochial. As for the name, "I want it to be an emporion for the empirical study of Antiquity, hence the name."

As I wrote, no later than the summer of 2005,

The scope of this site is generally Europe, the Mediterranean, and the Near East in the pre-modern period. The focus is generally miltary equipment and representations, but is really limited only by my own whims, resources and abilities. The basis is my own collection of digital photographs, but this has been supplemented where necessary and/or desirable. *NOTE:* This site will never be "complete" or "finished." I envision it as a perpetual work-in-progress: it will change as I go new places, take new pictures, add new information and revise old information"



No comments: